5.31.2010

chapter two; lunch date.

*Patrick's POV*
Wednesday May 26. Two days after the party. I had practice today but I knew it was going to be rough, being two days after the party and completely unfocussed on everything. As soon as I got out of bed, I went straight to the bathroom. Standing, looking back at myself in the mirror, eyes still bloodshot. Coach was not going to be happy. I quickly jumped in the shower, I stood their for about ten minutes taking in the hot water. It was still cold out in the middle of May which wasn't anything un-normal in Chicago. I through on my Blackhawks hoodie with some blue jeans and flip flops. Yes I was wearing flip flops, but I was also to lazy to pull something out of the back of my closet, they were the first thing I saw. As I was leaving, I saw Stephanie's purse on the table in my front hall. She's all I have been thinking about, which was good cause I've never felt this way before, but also bad since it was playoffs, I didn't have time for things like this, I needed to focus, not just for me but for the team.
I got to the arena, not many of the guys had arrived yet so I assumed I was early. Wrong I was late. Appearently I was totally oblivious to the cars in the parking lot and not even able to notice the change room. I was never late. I put on my gear and went out to the ice. Everyone stopped and stared, I felt like I had just murdered someone and was front and center in court, all eyes on me.
"Kane. Care to explain why you are late?" Coach Quenville yelled.
"No Coach, I wish I could. I thought I was early, but appearently not."
"Pull it together Kane, we don't have the time or paitentence for this. You need to focus, this is the playoffs."
"I know coach, it won't happen again. I promise, sorry everyone."
After practice, Jon and I went out for lunch. Every time we had practice on Wednesday's we went to McDonald's and I wouldn't really call it a good habit.
"Dude, what's up with you today?" Jon asked with a mouth full of fries.
"What do you mean?"
"Your bloodshot eyes. Being late for practice? That isn't you man."
"Well that party really did me in. But... I think it's a girl.."
"A girl, coach won't be happy."
"Please don't tell him."
"I won't, your in enough trouble as it is" Jon laughed. "But go on, I want to hear about this new chick."
"I don't know, we met at the party... We have a lot in common" I took a bite of my burger. "I mean, I've never felt this way before. I usually just have some fun, but man, she's different. I don't even know how to explain, she's all I've been thinking about since that night."
"Has anything happened between you guys?"
"Not yet. She spent the night at my house after the party..."
"Nice dude!"
"No no, it wasn't like that. We didn't hook up, like I said she's different. I'm taking her out to lunch tomorrow."
"This girl? What's her name?"
"Stephanie. Stephanie Pratt."
"From the hills?!" Jon got all excited, I didn't know he watched the Hills, wait till the guys hear this one!
"No, not from the Hills. I don't even know what the Hills is..?"
"Oh, ok nevermind then."
After lunch, I went home and showered... again, I guess it was kind of pointless to shower that morning but I haven't really realized what I have been doing. I needed to get myself together, if stuff went further with Steph, Coach couldn't find out about it, he was really strick with relationships, though he couldn't stop us, it was more just for playoff season.
Thursday morning finally arrived. I was up early, which wasn't usual to happen on an off day but I was so excited just to see Stephanie's face again. My eyes weren't bloodshot anymore so I wouldn't look like a stoner, thank god. I finished getting ready and it was only 10:30am. I still had an hour, I tried to watch t.v, that didn't work, then I ended up pacing back and forth staring at my phone. I wanted to call her but I didn't know if that was to weird and clingy. After five muntes I decided to text her -"Good morning :)"- She responded right away, that was good. 11:30am finally came around, before I ran out the door I grabbed Steph's purse, almost forgetting to bring it.
I picked up Steph, handed her, her bag whiched she thanked me for, and took her to a little fancy cafe downtown. We talked for hours, phones off, ignoring everything around us. We were focussed on each other. When ever we were together it seemed like nothing else mattered. "God she is beautiful" I thought to myself. Her hair was down, it had a little wave to it and she had the cutest outfit on, ripped pants, sequin shirt and those cute Gucci shoes she wore to the party. I've never noticed a lot about the girls I had met, I never noticed what they wore, or remembered what they wore for that fact. I could tell that there was something special between her and I. The only problem was, could it work out between us? With such similar personaltites, I don't think either of us had ever been in a comitted relationship. But I wanted to be with her, it felt as though she wanted to be with me to but I wasn't sure yet, so we would just take things slow, plus I was flying to Vancouver on Sunday for the second round of the playoffs so I wouldn't see her for two - three days. Maybe something would happen when I get back?
"Do you want to go to a game? I have three tickets for Saturday's game." I asked her.
"That would be great, plus Ally would love to go since she is leaving Sunday morning."
"Where is she going?"
"She is going home to visit Vancouver for a week. She may go to a game there."
"Oh, well that will be nice." I smiled.
Steph smiled back. "Well this lunch was really nice, I enjoyed it."
"So did I, maybe we could do it again sometime?"
"I'd like that"
I drove Steph home, that was the best lunch ever. Too bad I can't even remember what I had.
"Thanks for lunch, Pat. See you saturday?"
"Your welcome, thanks for coming. And yes, uhm.. come to the game early? Maybe we can hang out for a bit?"
"Won't your coach get mad?"
"Well, yeah, but he can deal with it"
"I don't want to get you in trouble"
"You won't, trust me. Coach is cool"
"Okay, well I'll see you saturday then!"
"See you then,"
Before I drove off, I watched her walk away. I couldn't wait for Saturday, to see her again, but this time hopefully I will be more focussed on my game.

2 comments: